Thursday, May 04, 2006

Jez and a Job

I’ve had a couple of emails from Jez. He was all ready to race over to see me (bless!) but he hasn’t got a passport. He’s going to Liverpool on Friday to try to get one as quickly as possible. I can’t wait to see him. I’ve told Jemima he’s on his way and she’s quite happy for him to stay at the guest house.

And the other good news is: I’ve got a job! I’m a washer-upperer. Jemima stopped me on my way out the other day. The woman, Holber, who usually does the dishes for the guest house, has gone into hospital and so Jemima needs a replacement for a while. She said that, as I’m staying in Lucy’s room and not one of the guest house rooms, she’s willing to give me free bed and board if I help out in the kitchen. I agreed and started straightaway. There are a few other tasks, such as clearing tables, but it didn’t take me too long to do the work, and then the rest of the time’s all mine. It gives me something to do and will help out with the finances.

It’s going quite well really, apart from this morning when the toast stuck in the toaster. Both me and Jemima were out of the room at the time and it was billowing black smoke by the time we went in. One of the media analysts (here for the conference) came out to ask what was going on. His name’s AP – I don’t know what that’s short for. He ended up telling me about a big fire there’d been in New York recently. Then we talked about the difference between English, American and the local breakfasts which focus heavily on fruit and yogurt. Nice guy. Then Jemima walked past and raised one eyebrow at me and I knew I needed to get back into the kitchen.

It's all very different from nursing but I think that's what I need for a while. That's why I've changed the template for my blog. Now it really is a Smooth Blue blog!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home