Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Homesick

New York is wonderful. Fantastic. London and Manchester rolled together and then some. The buildings. The people. The buzz. I love it.

But, for some reason, it’s made me homesick. I look at the Empire State Building and think about Urbis. I see the shops and long for the Trafford Centre. Whenever I turn on the tv I wonder what’s happening in Corrie and Big Brother 7. I have to go home. Soon.

I’m not saying I regret coming here. It’s been great. Sunday was fantastic (after I got some birthday emails.) I went along to the opening of Helium’s installation. The crowd were well impressed when they took the cover off this enoooooormous balloon and the night sky appeared on a sunny New York afternoon. I’d hoped Brim would show but he didn’t, although I really thought I saw him in a tree at one point.

Then Helium, and some of his arty friends, took me to help celebrate his success at a bar that was all glass and shiny chrome. They toasted my birthday too. I stayed a bit longer than I intended and had more to drink than I should have.

Afterwards, I went to another bar to meet AP and Morgan. (AP never mentioned the cookout and I didn’t like to bring it up.) This bar was very dark and we sat in a booth away from everyone else. Morgan’s a dark haired, dark skinned little man. Shorter than me even. He talked a lot but I didn’t take in everything he said. Or maybe I did at the time and some of it was lost in the journey back to soberhood. Anyway, there was lots of talk about protocol and levels of security and responsibility and missions. I felt like I was being led down some sort of a maze with no exit. It was clear that Morgan wanted me to go back to Picar but I was very firm. Manchester is home and where I intend to go. He said there are things I can do in Manchester for him but it won’t be as lucrative as Picar. That’s fine with me, I said, I’ll have my nursing when I get back.

I seem to have packed a lot in during my time here. Seen the Statue of Liberty from the air and up close. Went to a recording of the David Letterman show. Actually managed to get a ticket to see The Colo(u)r Purple tonight. But I’m ready for home. Going to try for a plane for Thursday or Friday. It’s time I faced up to my problems. At long last.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home